The Student News Site of Horace Greeley High School

The Greeley Voice

The Greeley Voice

The Greeley Voice

2023’s Musical Renaissance: New Artists, Trends, and Teen Perspectives

Source: Pentucket Profile
Source: Pentucket Profile

According to Common Sense Media, 82% of teenagers listen to music daily. Since there is freedom to choose from countless genres and styles, listening to music appeals to a wide range of audiences. Musical trends have shifted dramatically over the decades, and this can influence different generations to have different musical tastes. Furthermore, studies have shown the benefits of music on the teenage mind, revealing how some beats can have a soothing, stress-relieving effect on youths. The benefits of listening to music appear to be endless, and teens seem to be the main draw.
The 2023 season has introduced many new artists into the loop, such as Ice Spice, Tate McRae, and Olivia Rodrigo. However, Taylor Swift, Harry Styles, The Weeknd, and Drake are currently the most famous artists, each of them receiving millions of streams for their songs. The flair of each of the artists above makes the current music top-hit list diverse and unique. For instance, Agora Hills by Doja Cat is rap music, Stick Season by Noah Kahan is alternative rock, and Cruel Summer by Taylor Swift is pop music. 2023 also witnessed the rise of sped-up songs, adding to the growth of social media.
In previous years, top songs tended to belong to a particular genre. In the 2010s, EDM and hip-hop music were most popular, differentiating from the R&B vocals of the 2000’s chart-toppers. The nineties consisted mostly of grunge, rap, and alternative beats. Eighties music was notable for its glam-rock, pop, and hip-hop sounds. The seventies introduced Disco and Motown, which added more upbeat tempos to the music. In the sixties, chart toppers were mostly part of Motown and Rock ‘N Roll genres, and British artists such as the Beatles and the Rolling Stones dominated the music industry, selling hundreds of millions of records. Fifties music was influenced directly by Elvis Presley and his new ideas of rock ‘n roll. The 1940’s melodies in America consisted mainly of swing, jazz, and blues.
Music sounds from the past have proven to influence new music sounds. For example, Taylor Swift was inspired by the bass guitarist of the Beatles, Paul McCartney. In an exclusive video for Time, Taylor Swift claimed, “I look at Paul McCartney and I see how he’s just had this amazing career she explained at the time. He’s created just unparalleled art and probably been faced with more pressure than most people. He’s always been known to be kind to people, respectful, and also really selfless as a performer.” Even though music styles have changed drastically throughout the years, new artists continue to look up to older artists and admire their pioneering styles.
Music not only serves as a means of entertainment but also has tangible influences on people. Some music can have a calming effect, which can directly impact the mental health of students. Listening to one’s favorite artists during the school day can have a positive impact on a student’s overall happiness. According to Penn Medicine, “Music becomes transitional as teens work through the trials and tribulations of adolescence. It can create a healing environment during times of uncertainty.” Greeley students share similar beliefs when asked about the topic. For instance, Greeley freshman Riya A. said, “ I think listening to music during school can make work more enjoyable.” Another Greeley freshman, Megan S, agreed: “I think music can help a student focus and feel more comfortable at school.” It is even conceivable that listening to music during school may have academic benefits for students.
In essence, the benefits of music appear to be endless. With so many new artists and songs, there is something for everyone. All the different genres and styles of music allow for people of all ages to enjoy. Music has always been subject to change, but that is one of the reasons people keep listening: Music can help benefit teens’ mental health and boost morale for all.