The Student News Site of Horace Greeley High School

The Greeley Voice

The Greeley Voice

The Greeley Voice

Where Words Come to Life

Chappaqua Children’s Book Festival

At the tenth annual Chappaqua Children’s Book Festival on September 30th, an entire community came together to commemorate literature. This celebration of the written word was more than an event; it was a gateway to new worlds and a catalyst for literary growth. The scene overflowed with hundreds of authors from all over the tri-state area accompanied by their exquisite books for members of the community to explore. At this literary extravaganza, joyous chaos and celebration encapsulated the atmosphere.
The Chappaqua Children’s Book Festival has been taking place for 10 years; this year, a variety of organizations, fundraisers, small businesses, writers, and illustrators came together to unite the community for a larger purpose. The festival not only provided a platform for showcasing a variety of books, but also encouraged a love for reading and learning. The enthusiasm was front and center at every activity, book signing, and fundraising event. All attendees were kept engaged, whether through read aloud time with an author, gaga pits, or bouncy houses. Nora Morton, Greeley junior and volunteer at the festival, shared her impressions: “I think the festival is really important in that it not only promotes reading, but it has a lot of other activities, crafts, and food trucks that make it more enjoyable for everyone.” Morton also noted that “The festival this year has been a huge success compared to past years because it’s grown in size with people coming from all over Westchester, and I think it really shows our dedication to community.” The Chappaqua Children’s Book Festival was able to cultivate excitement about literature while also promoting businesses and organizations like Kiwi Country Day Camp and Draw For Paws to continue connecting the Chappaqua community.
Melanie Conklin, author of the middle-grade novel, Counting Thyme — a Bank Street Best Children’s Book and winner of the International Literacy Association Teacher’s Choice Award — spoke about her experience at the festival: “I think that this is an amazing community of really invested readers who really like to get together and share their joy of books. It’s a special event to be a part of.” She talked further about her novel, A Perfect Mistake, and her relationship with her pieces. “It’s interesting because each book, as I’m working on it, is my favorite book. My book that is the most popular right now is my latest book, A Perfect Mistake, and that tends to be what happens. Whatever is the newest book is the one that is pulling an audience in,” she said. Olugbemisola Rhuday-Perkovich, member of the Brown Bookshelf and editor of the The Hero Next Door, a We Need Diverse Books anthology, shared her goals in literature and the impact she strives to have on audiences: “Operation Sisterhood and Two Naomis are probably my most popular books. I think readers always develop their own relationships with the book. I just hope that anyone who reads my books gets whatever they need right at that time in their life.”
The Chappaqua Book Festival is more than just a get-together for bibliophiles; it is a celebration of the imagination, storytelling, and love of literature. These festivals serve as a reminder of the lasting value of the printed word and the significance of in-person encounters in a fast-paced, digital age. They unite various viewpoints, provoke debates, celebrate the power of words, and unite the community.