The Student News Site of Horace Greeley High School

The Greeley Voice

The Greeley Voice

The Greeley Voice

Out of This World

McDonald’s opens new spinoff restaurant, CosMc’s
NPR
CosMc’s in Bolingbrook, Illinois

On Dec. 7, 2023, McDonald’s opened their first-ever spinoff restaurant, CosMc’s, in Bolingbrook, Illinois. Its menu predominantly features drinks, with occasional crossovers from the McDonald’s menu. Although McDonald’s already operates a coffee line (McCafe, introduced in 1993), the company had not yet experimented with standalone beverage locations. CosMc’s provides a unique space theme, serving “out of this world” beverages and differentiating itself from original McDonald’s locations.
CosMc’s launch was revealed to the public in July by McDonald’s CEO Chris Kempczinski, who says the opening of this new chain was sparked by the increasing demand for afternoon “pick-me-up” beverages. Even though McDonald’s introduced McCafe, a coffee line sold in McDonald’s establishments, in 1993, the company had not yet taken full advantage of the beverage market, which is worth over 1.5 billion dollars.
While only one location is currently open, the company has plans to introduce nine more establishments in the United States by the end of 2024 as they test the waters to see how CosMc’s will perform. McDonald’s based the concept behind the new restaurant’s galactic theme on an alien named CosMc, a lesser-known character featured in McDonald’s commercials from 1986 to 1992. This past summer, McDonald’s made their first attempt at restoring one of these vintage characters with the Grimace Shake campaign. This campaign brought back nostalgic memories for those who viewed the commercials decades ago and notably inspired a TikTok trend amassing nearly four billion views. Because of the immense success McDonald’s saw after building a concept around a forgotten character, it’s no surprise they are attempting to recreate their success.
CosMc’s menu orbits around drinks. Options range from basic coffee-based beverages to lemonades, frappes, and their signature “Galactic Boosts.” The bulk of their drinks display bright colors, from radiant pinks to deep purples, further leaning into the space theme. Although this unique theme distinguishes the brand from rivals such as Starbucks and Dunkin’ Donuts, it may still prove difficult for CosMc’s to break into this competitive market. Not everybody is open to integrating a new beverage brand into their daily routine. Greeley sophomore Sophia L. states, “I would be interested in trying CosMc’s, but unless it’s more accessible than the current [beverage chains], I will most likely stick with familiar brands in the long run.” She is not alone in this opinion; for many, buying coffee or other drinks regularly is a habitual practice. To combat this, CosMc’s is making an effort to not seem distant to customers despite its far-out theme, carrying a menu category titled “From the McDonald’s Universe” that features their famous McMuffins and McFlurries. By incorporating these fan favorites into its menu, CosMc’s widens its customer base to McDonald’s regulars, allowing the chain to further its success. In addition to providing this familiarity to McDonald’s consumers, CosMc’s also takes inspiration from other large beverage shops. Drinks at CosMc’s are customizable, with options to add dried fruit, popping boba, energy shots, and syrups. The restaurant’s general menu style also mimics companies like Starbucks and Dunkin’ Donuts, mainly focusing on drinks while offering breakfast sandwiches and light snacks. Sandwiches, savory bites, baked goods, and soft serve categories can all be found on CosMc’s menu.
By blending the ordinary and unknown, CosMc’s certainly has found its own realm in a competitive industry, but only the future can tell if it can hold its ground.

CosMc’s menu (McDonald’s)
CosMc, the inspiration for the new chain (McDonald’s)